Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Return of the Stripy Thing

Yipes, Stripes!



Oh wait, not that kind.







This kind:



The stripy thing is finished. Turns out it's a baby sweater. It's my standby pattern from Simple Knits for Cherished Babies, in the 6-9 month size. I added the one-row-stripe pattern from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Knits for Older Kids book and used Butterfly mercerized cotton leftovers from my BFF Wendy from when she had a major stash purge.

Two rows of single crochet around the sleeves and one row of single crochet around the neckline cleans up the stranding a bit.

I did a bit of my own stashbusting and came up with this goldish-brown ribbon to tie up the back.


It's a gift for a very sweet baby boy who is currently recovering from the heart surgery he had yesterday. His recovery is going very well according to frequent updates from his parents. I'm pretty sure his mom has figured out that the stripy thing is his, so I don't feel bad about blogging it. I'll hopefully be able to get it (and her sock yarn prize) to her soon.

-----

That means the only October project not to get finished in October is my October socks. I'm not horribly sad about that... it just means the November projects will be a bit rushed (but it's not like that is surprising). I've already decided to use my
orange Pace scapegoat socks for my November socks, so that takes a little pressure off.

I'll leave you with a little Knit Knack related humor that my aunt found not too long ago.

7 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

I loved that gum as a kid.

The sweater is so cute.

Yonners said...

you are still the FO queen~ All hail! ps- I've named the monkey Elliot and you betcha, Dec 26th, I'm casting on some arghyle socks! Brooke rocks the cazbah!

Karen said...

Love your stripey baby sweater. I hope the little one has a speedy recovery. And I totally love Knit Knack's pirate costume, too cute!

Joy said...

I did kinda guess... and I think it's SO cute. I can't believe you got all that knitting done in October!

KelInCal said...

The sweater is adorable - I'm loving that yarn! I hope the little guy gets well soon.

Annie said...

The sweater is beautiful! I'm so getting that book since you seem to get most of your baby sweater inspiration from it and now I have a little one to spoil with sweaters and such :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I looooove that color combination. So sophisticated yet playful for a baby. I'm glad to hear the intended recipient is doing well! What a scary thing for the parents.