Monday, February 4, 2008

Party Hardy, Mardi Knack!

Sure there's no Mardi Gras parade in Wooster, but that doesn't mean Knit Knack can't make his own fun! And who would make a better parade king?


And if there's no parade, he won't have to fight the crowds to get some beads.

After the imaginary parade, he could even go to an imaginary masquerade!

And if it's all make-believe, we won't have to worry about Knit Knack being able to find his way home when it's all over.

-----

Obviously, the coolest feature of the Sheldon pattern is that the shell comes off. Otherwise, my mom and I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun with Knit Knack as we have. However, if you've ever tried to put a shell on a Sheldon, you know it's not the easiest thing to do, and sometimes my mom struggles to change Knit Knack's clothes. So the Mardi Gras shell is the first to feature... well, a new feature. I didn't connect one "shoulder" of the attachment panel to the top of the shell with the applied i-cord. Instead, I left that part loose and later added some velcro as a closure. It's just sticky velcro... I think it could probably use a stitch or two to tack it down in the future, just to keep it in place. It's not as ideal as what the original pattern calls for, but it works if your turtle's owner needs some help getting those shells on.

In the top picture you can see the open "shoulder", and the bottom picture shows how good it looks when it's closed.



11 comments:

Bogie said...

Love it! And the shoulder mod is a great idea.

Brenda said...

And the shoulder modification makes it easier to earn all those beads.

COME ON! You knew I was going to say it!

KelInCal said...

I love the little crowns on his shell - clever, clever!

I hated how hard it was to get the shells on. Seeing as how I made four of them, I made the shells looser and looser each time. The blue turtle was first, and is the tightest - I haven't dare removed the shell! I bet he was one with the shell on in my little photo shoot - for a reason!

~RaenWa~ said...

Aww that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen

monica said...

party and parade on Knit Knack!!

Donna said...

Thank you so much for this - you and Knit Knack have made my day!

Annie said...

I love it!

I just hope he didn't have to do anything inappropriate to get all those beads ;)

alice said...

oh hey, i did that on my shelly! i seamed it all up, then couldn't get the damn thing on the body... so i put snaps on the shoulders (both of them) and now it's easy-peasy. what a great way to make an awesome pattern better :) i LOVE your endless variations, always inspirational!

Unknown said...

How many holidays are there?

Molly Bee said...

SNORT! Love the post Mardi Gras Sheldon picture! Too funny!

Karen said...

Knit Knack is so cool. Party on shelly dude!