Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tales of Fiber in the Northwest

Deadlines are our friends.The thumb on the second Maggie mitten was finished in the airport the morning we left for Seattle.


I reiterate: I work well under pressure.

They were well-received, too. They fit perfectly, and were only taken off when it was realized that they greatly inhibited the fine motor skills.

The birthday sweater made an appearance. Wow, is that kid cute. I could make the ugliest sweaters ever, and those kids would make them look tres chic.

Mom
"helped"
"knit" my sweater. There's something in that North-western air that allowed her a few lucid knitting moments. Aww, who am I kidding. It looks convincing, though, doesn't it?

Despite a rousing game of Pass the Plague, we did get to do a little yarn shopping on the Thursday after Christmas. We tried to go to Wooly Monkey (how perfect would that have been?) but they were out of business. We did hit Kirkland Yarn & Stitchery, where I picked up two skeins of Dale Baby Ull. One is a nice, soft, light blue. The other was a delightful, unusual berry-magenta in the store, which turned into a fairly everyday red once I got it home. Such, as they say, is life.

I really liked Great Yarns in Everett, though. We were a little hesitant to go there, since they'd been cranky to Morgan in the past. However, we must have charmed them with our large, noisy group of yarn shoppers, because they were super nice when we went. They basically had a nice big house with rooms stuffed with yarn... lots of yarn. Nice yarn. I picked up a ball of Malabrigo in muted sea greens (mittens?), and a ball of Monarch Fly Super Sport handpainted sock yarn in dark dark dark teal (ooooooo-pomatomus).

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Ooooo! I'm so glad you're back! I've missed you so!

bean said...

I like the idea of looking at the throwing up (and other disgusting things) as a game! I'm glad you guys came to play with us.

And, I must agree, the children are pretty cute.

Joy said...

Love the yarn acquisitions! ... and the photo of your mom knitting. Glad to hear that despite the ravages of illness, you enjoyed your trip west. Glad to see you back! Remember... you still owe me six weird things about you. I'm quite good at remembering things like that you know...

Yonners said...

I'm glad your holidays were all such goodness! Are you going to start another potamus sock pair? Here's a question if you don't mind- do you ever get paranoid that you are going to run out of sock yarn for the second sock? I'm knitting some really fine gauge socks right now out of some fleece artist and I'm making them tiny ankle socks because I'm scared of running out of yarn. Glad you are back!