Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Knitting Olympics Learnings

1. I learned that I can do a knit-a-long if I can do a project that most other people aren't doing.

2. I learned that I am likely more of a rectangular shawl person instead of a triangular shawl person.

3. I learned that I will do crazy things in order to deserve a JPEG of a gold medal.

















4. I learned that I cannot focus on just one project even in the short span of 16 days. Some may say that I knew that already.

5. I learned that even without the total focus, I still have enough discipline to meet my deadlines. I may have known that one already, too.

6. I learned that really, you can get past a troublesome spot if you just work at it. Throwing the project aside does not solve the problem.

7. I learned that it's much more fun to knit with friends. Whoops, I already knew that one, too.

8. I learned that above-mentioned friends and family are worth tons when it comes to support and encouragement, even if said support and encouragement includes some mocking and general shock and awe upon successful completion.

9. I learned that over 4000 knitters joined the knitting olympics, and only 2400 atheletes joined the regular olympics.

10. I learned that it is great to challenge yourself now and then, and the feeling of freedom when you finish is definitely worth the effort.

11. I learned that knitting a lace shawl with the same pattern everywhere can get a bit tedious.

12. I learned to follow my instincts when it comes to yarn yardage. I never would have had enough left over for another repeat.

13. I learned that actually finishing knitting projects can be very fun. So last night I finished another one. (Sadie's sweater. Can you believe it?)

2 comments:

Joy said...

Holy cow! I can't believe my eyes! The sweater sleeves look great. Is this the same Brooke the Knitter that I hung out with at the beginning of the Knitting Olympics????

brooke t. higgins said...

It's me! It's me! See? *poses*

The knitting olympics provided significant personal growth opportunities, of which I took full advantage.